Don’t let the spirit of the season lull you into a false sense of security! Especially during the holidays, we are often rushing around, stressed out at the lack of time and the amount of things left on the “to do” list. This can result in carelessness on our part – which can lead to opportunities for crime.
Here are some tips to help protect you and your belongings as you are shopping this season:
If you are Shopping
- Stay alert and be aware of what’s going on around you
- Park in a well-lit space
- Be sure to lock the car, close the windows, and hide gifts or shopping bags in the trunk or out of sight
- Don’t overburden yourself with packages. Be extra careful with purses and wallets, especially if you are trying to juggle multiple things in your arms. Keep them close to your body or in your pocket.
- Avoid carrying any significant amount of cash with you – pay with a check or credit card if possible
Holiday Package Theft
- Track deliveries online and confirm that the delivery has occurred. For a lot of online vendors, you can sign up for email or text notifications which can track the delivery to ensure proper delivery.
- If you know a family member or neighbor that will be home at the time of the time of delivery, ask them to pick up the packages as soon as they are delivered. Perhaps some fresh Christmas cookies can be a reward!
- If possible, switch the delivery location to your work so that it can be received by someone and not left on the porch. This can be particularly useful for high value or high demand items which may be most appealing to thieves.
- Utilize store pickup options available from stores (this may also save you shipping costs as well!)
- Ask the local post office if they will hold your package for pick-up. Post office locations will allow your package to remain safe and secure for up to 30 days.
My Member Insurance Agency wants to help you “protect what matters most”, including things that you may give or receive this Holiday Season! Contact us for a free, no obligation review of your insurance needs at (989) 791-5400 today.